[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Sat Apr 28 19:12:14 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 06:47:33PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:23:14 +0200
> Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:
>
> > In Linux kernel 2.6, ALSA is the default sound system.
> > It contains an in-kernel OSS emulation, but using ALSA directly is
> > better.
> >
> > MPlayer supports both ALSA and OSS, and this patch changes the order to
> > check for ALSA before checking for OSS.
>
> I'm against it.
> OSS emulation of ALSA is a lot less error prone than
> alsa itself. Yes, you read right. Whom ever i had to
> help with sound problems (broken driver system or
> A/V sync problems) in the last two years always
> had problems with ALSA that were easily solved
> by using the OSS emulation.
>
> Don't ask me why, i don't understand how ALSA works.

This doesn't match my experiences.

In my experience there are many people for whom the OSS emulation does
work worse or not at all, but native ALSA does work.

But the goal is to get ALSA always working without using the OSS
emulation, and if there are still problems in ALSA left these should be
fixed in ALSA.

Can you give me bug numbers in the ALSA bug tracker [1] for the sound
problems you have helped people with?

> 			Attila Kinali

cu
Adrian