[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 28 22:31:57 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:27:07 +0300
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> If you say "always", then I think it only shows your sample is very
> limited and is not reliable evidence. I remember several problems from
> both IRC and mailing lists that were related to OSS use but worked with
> ALSA.

Ofcourse my sample base is small. I'm neither doing
much user support these day nor am i asking hundreds
of users about their experiances.

> OSS also has problems that are present on any machine, such as lack of
> support for audio pause (always causes temporary desync on
> pause/unpause, can be bad if you step several frames).

I never said that OSS is perfect. I do think that, because
of its simplicity it could be superior to alsa, but i can
not prove it as i don't know enough about ALSA. But that
does not mean that OSS is the solution to every problem
(actualy, because of its age it has to have many problems)

				Attila Kinali
--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann