[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 29 09:38:15 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 08:59:20PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 02:10:47AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Well... It wouldn't necessarily be too late for a libalsa-only vs.
> > clean, portable (as in acceptable to support under e.g. BSDs),
> > simple and properly documented kernel API for ALSA discussion,
> > would that one have a chance?
>
> The clean simple properly documented kernel API already exists. It's
> called OSS. Using the ALSA drivers does not preclude using the proper
> API that already exists.

Unfortunately, exist, or more precisely "deteriorate", is the only thing
it does currently :-(. It doesn't show too much I guess, because audio
is probably the thing that has made least progress in the PC, probably
even if you include power supply efficiency, and that is already
unspeakable...
Still, DTS is at least not even in theory supported by OSS according to
my linux headers, and I don't see anyone who would do whatever necessary to
support more things done in hardware, OpenAL or EAX-style, if that ever
happens to become more popular (maybe not that much more chance with
that with ALSA either though).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger