[MPlayer-dev-eng] 64-bit issue in ad_faad.c

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Mon Apr 30 20:07:06 CEST 2007

Le primidi 11 floréal, an CCXV, Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> They're wrong nonetheless.  Look up the discussion on the xine-devel
> mailing list and the hydrogenaudio forums.  The consensus is that it's
> GPL incompatible and the FSF agrees with our interpretation.  The Nero
> engineers didn't seem very happy with the decision of the legal
> department back then, but they couldn't make them reverse it.

Well, we can see for ourselves. Here is the licence of all of the C files in
the libfaad subdirectory

** FAAD2 - Freeware Advanced Audio (AAC) Decoder including SBR decoding
** Copyright (C) 2003-2005 M. Bakker, Nero AG, http://www.nero.com
**
** This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
** it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
** the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
** (at your option) any later version.
**
** This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
** but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
** MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
** GNU General Public License for more details.
**
** You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
** along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
** Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
**
** Any non-GPL usage of this software or parts of this software is strictly
** forbidden.
**
** Software using this code must display the following message visibly in or
** on each copy of the software:
** "FAAD2 AAC/HE-AAC/HE-AACv2/DRM decoder (c) Nero AG, www.nero.com"
** in, for example, the about-box or help/startup screen.
**
** Commercial non-GPL licensing of this software is possible.
** For more info contact Nero AG through Mpeg4AAClicense at nero.com.

(Three files have "Ahead Software" instead of "Nero".)

Well, it seems clear enough to me: this is a stupidware license: it is
logically incoherent (if it is under GPL, software using this code is in no
obligation to display the message), and therefore no one is allowed to do
anything with this code.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George