[MPlayer-DOCS] letter to distro mplayer packagers?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Dec 1 13:02:16 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:27:34PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> [I can't post to the mplayer-docs, but i keep the CC:]

Don't worry, we'll approve those mails, just keep the complete CC list.

> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:46:30AM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > Why you include a skin uuencoded in the packaging patch and not create a
> > skin package that the mplayer-gui package depends on remains a mystery
> > to me.
>
> Why not. May be a good idea :)

Well, it makes it hard to swap out one skin for another and it makes the
packaging patch very bloated and hard to read...

At the very least it's completely unconventional, I haven't seen this in
another Debian package.

> > This looks like a bug in the 3dfx video output driver.  It should fall
> > back on other video output drivers but apparently doesn't.
> >
> > There is an easy solution to this problem: Just don't compile-in the 3dfx
> > video output driver.  It has been obsoleted by the tdfxfb and tdfx_vid
> > video output drivers and is not compiled-in by default anyway.
>
> OK, changed.

Good.

I've also just fixed this in CVS. Now the tdfxfb video output driver is
preferred over 3dfx.  It took me one minute, we just need to be made
aware of problems...

> >> I add nothing. I've simply packaged a desktop file before you and
> >> because your changelog is unreadable (the pre8 is more than 130 lines)
> >> I've not seen you have added a desktop file in pre4.
> >
> > Yes, there are a lot of changes.  Do you have a suggestion how we could
> > make our changelogs more readable?
> >
> > Please just submit such things to us.  We'll let you know whether we
> > already have it or not.
>
> I think the best is to provides a full ChangeLog file and a NEWS files
> whom contains only important changes. When i mean a full ChangeLog I'm
> talking about a real ChangeLog like the one provided by cvs or svn.

We'll look into it.  Generating our changelogs by hand is a painful
process ATM.  Any hints at (semi-)automatic solutions are welcome.

What about the various copies of the config files and the various
patches you apply?

Diego