[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/help help_mp-en.h,1.214,1.215

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 01:48:48 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 06:51:07PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>
>>> If you just use 'cvs commit', you'll be dropped into an editor,
>>> vi as default or whatever you have in the VISUAL or EDITOR
>>> environment variables...
>>
>> Yes - the problem is that I do not want to find myself in vi (never
>>  have understood how people can manage to use it),
>
> Well, once your fingers get used to it, it's great...

It's not my fingers that are the problem, it's my mind; I do not operate
in that type of interface paradigm, and I don't really want to. Saying
more than that would involve a potentially extensive offtopic rant based
on less information than such a thing should be, so I'll leave it there.

>> and even though I seem to recall having added a line to set the
>> appropriate environment variable to my .bashrc the variable is not
>> set and the line does not seem to be there.
>
> Just putting
>
> EDITOR=whatever
> VISUAL=whatever
>
> or
>
> export EDITOR=whatever
> export VISUAL=whatever
>
> into your .bashrc should be enough.

Yes, and I thought I did that, but see above. I'll try it again, though.

>> (As a side note, since the man page doesn't seem to address the
>> question and it's not the kind of thing I want to just experiment
>> with: is there any way, once the editor has been invoked, to cancel
>> the commit without just killing the process?)
>
> Exit the editor without saving.

Okay. The man page does not appear to indicate that saving the 'file' is
required in order to send it; I was not sure that exiting the editor
would not automatically send the contents of its buffer as the commit
message, even if the buffer were empty.

Again, thanks.

--
       The Wanderer