[Mplayer-dvb] future plans

Dirk Wiebel dirk at wiebel.de
Mon Jan 28 14:37:32 CET 2002

Hello,

> i've gave up idea of using mp1e, it seems to be impossible to remove
> unneeded things and threads without full rewrite :(
> but, Michael Niedermajer today commited some big chanegs to libavcodec, so
> it's now 2 times faster! Comparable to mp1e.

indeed! Especially the quality improved a lot. Thanks to both of you!

> Full sized divx4 playback needs avg. 30% of my 1.8g p4 cpu.
> It means an celeron 800 should be enough for full rate playback now.
> (or p3 600 maybe)

Playback via DVB interface???

Hmmm, my VDR machine is a 1GHz Celeron. It's definitely not able to
replay full size divx movies via DVB. 480x576 seems to be the limit,
352x576 (sic!) is the best-balanced value on my machine.

Did anyone hear/see/smell anything about the divx codec >= 4.11 for
linux? It should have a very effective sse2 extension (intel only,
unfortunately), according to TomsHardware.

Regards,
Dirk