[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Feb 22 11:40:22 CET 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:15:23 +0100
Gabucino <gabucino at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:

>  - firms DO steal -> court -> lotsa time+money consumed -> success doubtful
>  - firms use the second license -> money receipt or whatever

I have to agree here. Although we are a large project, we're still
only individuals. We cannot really defend ourselfs at court if we
have to. On the otherhand if we can prevent companies from stealing
our code by a dual license, we might get some contributions from their
side.

Now the discussion whether it should be gpl/bsd or gpl/lgpl
isn't one at all (fortnunately or unfortunately ?). We already
use a lot of third party gpl/lgpl code which we cannot relicense
under bsd, thus we have to stick with gpl/lgpl.

Something else we should keep in mind is the exact terms when
we allow the use of one or the other license. Ie whether we
allow people to use the license they want or whether we restrict
it depending on the use of the code.

And if we choose a dual license, we should apply it to the whole
projcet, not just parts of it. Otherwise we'll end up in a
license hell where nobody knows what may be used and what not.

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu