[Mplayer-users] mplayer 4/3/2001 CVS snapshot feedback

Benedict Bridgwater bennyb at ntplx.net
Fri Apr 6 03:35:21 CEST 2001

Just some feedback on this snapshot vs the previous (3/17) one I tried:

1) The MJPG and I263 CODECs barely work for me. They have an initial
delay, and are then slow and VERY jerky. The Intel I263 CODEC actually
also supports I420 (a planar YUV) format, and if you add this to
codecs.c it works, but is also VERY slow (even although this is a very
simple decode).

2) The new -vo dga VidMode extension switching works very well in 24bpp,
but oddly it has has changed what does/doesn't work in 16bpp. Previously
with -vo dga I could play MPEG's in 16bpp, but not DivX AVI's, but now
that has been reversed! Is it possible that VidMode switches to a
different color depth as well as resolution?

3) -vo fsdga continues to be quite bizarre... DivX's play in a tiny
"window" in the center of the screen (whereas -vo dga uses VidMode and
they are almost full screen), and MPEGs play full screen but
unbelievably slowly (2-3 fps?) whereas -vo dga (with VidMode switching)
plays them perfectly at full speed almost full screen.

I really prefer to run in 16bpp because I have a relatively slow PC
(266MHz PII), and it's 2/3 of the pixels to move around vs 24bpp.

Ben

P.S. I'm not a member of the list - any response via e-mail please!