[Mplayer-users] MPlayer and SDL

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 8 23:34:40 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I have a latest snapshot of mplayer (at 08 apr 2001).
> My video hardware is not very power: PCI S3VirgeDX (2MB VRAM)
> but CPU is Duron-750.
> After multiple experiments I have found that
> best solution for my computer is playing of DivX;)
> files through SDL driver (-vo sdl), (I have SDL v1.2.0).
> When I use -vo xv or -vo x11 frames are losing but for
> -vo sdl - never and my videocard has same speed as
> AGP ATI Rage IIC with -vo x11 (I had tested it on my computer too).
> In addition: -vo x11 has no scaling opposite to sdl. I.e. x11 without
> scaling (in window) is slower of sdl with scaling (full screen)
For S3 it can be true. But for your ATI you should use Xv, it's much
faster, because using hardware scaler and YUV converter.
(Maybe you have to install the Xv driver from the GATOS project)

> - sdl:	SDL >= v1.1.7 driver (slower than 'x11', but supports software scaling)
> 	(NOT supported by us! Don't submit SDL bugreports!)
>
> If you want you may change this at least for S3Virge!
I still believe that sdl is slower, because it can't be faster. Maybe your
SDL is compiled with DGA support or something, so it has faster video
ram access than x11 driver has.

> But mlpayer with SDL's output driver has one flaw:
> it don't stop playing by ESC, but changing your state
> between FULLSCREEN and WINDOWED modes. May be it possible to fix?
> (Or it problem of SDL?)
SDL thing. Use 'q' to exit.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu