[Mplayer-users] -g gcc option in loader makefile

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 9 22:43:49 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On/Dnia Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 02:23:44PM -0500, Arpi wrote/napisa³(a)
> > > I wonder why that part of the code does not use the globally defined compiler
> > > switches in config.mak?
> > Because the win32 loader doesn't compile with optimization enabled (-O2).
> For me it compiles fine with -O2 (gcc 2.95.3) but it crashes instead working
> at least in mplayer.
Yes, I mean crashing... Of course it compiles even with -O4 (why not compile
with -O2 if compiles without it...)
Maybe there is problem with the registers, mainly with ESP. The win32
codecs changes them, so optimized code crashes, while unoptimized (which
uses memory instead of registers for variables) works...
Optimization >=-O2 enables -fomit-frame-pointer by default, and it is the
problem.

> > I don't know why, and the avifile authors don't know too.
> hmm but avifile is working fine. I'm not sure if I have win32 loader
> compiled with optimalizations thought.
avifile do the same, so compile the loader without optimization.

But as I said before, the loader is not speed critical thing, it can be slow
(and there is not so big difference between -O4 and unoptimized gcc code).
After it loaded the DLL, it has no use any more. We call the DLL directly.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu