[Mplayer-users] font bitmap format?

Felix Bünemann Felix.Buenemann at gmx.de
Tue Apr 10 01:31:57 CEST 2001

Hello Arpi,

Tuesday, April 10, 2001, 6:44:07 AM, you wrote:

A> Hi,

>> > but could you give me some hint how to do it (mainly how convert bitmap to
>> > the strange .raw format)?

A> what are your suggestion for a better bitmap file format?

A> what we need?
A> - 256 color greyscaled image
A> - possibly uncompressed, or very easy & fast & small decompressor
A> - lossless!
A> - supported by common image manipulation programs (gimp,xv,photoshop,psp...)

A> not good:
A> - .raw - requires alchemy (non-free) for conversion
A> - .gif - lzw license problems
A> - .jpg - lossy... sux.
A> - .png - too big and compilacted decompressor
A> - .bmp - it's upside-down, and has many fileformat variations...

PCX:
PCX files can hold the following Images: 4-color palletized CGA,
16-color palletized EGA, -->256-color palletized VGA<--, and 24-bit truecolor.
The raster data immediately follows the 128byte header. It uses a run length
encoding for compression purposes. Data is stored top-down, left-to-right, with
a possible filler byte between scan lines. The encoding is dependent on the number
of bits/pixel.
-> upside-down/left-to-right as for bitmap, but im not sure how much
of a problem that is (all readings would be reversed in).

(info from: http://www.daubnet.com/formats/PCX.html)

TGA and TIFF came into my mind to be quite common, but I haven't found
documentation on those (yet).

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:Felix.Buenemann at gmx.de