[Mplayer-users] font bitmap format?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 11 02:52:47 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Maybe the old Portable GrayMap (PGM) as used by the old Pbmplus or
> Netpbm as it's known now? The format is text-like, just a few header
> lines and then the data straight up, every byte is one pixel. It doesn't
> get much simpler than that. At least xv supports the format, I'd assume
> gimp does too.
I'll check.

> Then again, would it be possible to use X fonts somehow? That would
> avoid the need to draw fonts...
No. As X11 fonts are usable only with X11 window, in x11 bitmap graphic,
only -vo x11 and maybe -vo sdl can support it. Other drivers, like hw
overlays, opengl etc can't use X fonts because X renderer can't render
outside of its screen...
So, as we want a generic, -vo driver independent solution, with antialiasing
and other funny things, we decided to make own fonts.

Btw someone wiht enough programming experience should write an
automatic X11 font -> mplayer font converter prg...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu