[Mplayer-users] Clicking/pausing/generally bad sound

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 25 12:45:11 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I have exactly the same problem : video is perfect but sound is really
> bad.
> I have on a Duron 600MHz with 128 ral and a maxi sound fortissimo sound
> card.

Hey, all of you with sound problems and strange sound card owners!
Please compile (./c) and run audio-block and audio-select programs from
the TOOLS/ direcory. And send me the results!
It will show that soundcard driver is OK or not.

And check CPU usage (both % percentages in mplayer's status line,
and real CPU usage shown by 'top').

For example, I have celeron2-600 @ 900MHZ (100MHz FSB), with Matrox
G400, but without setting up MTRR register it can't play even middle-size
divx files. Video throughput is too slow. With MTRR settings it's ok.
I'm sure in that most of you have problem with VGA card (or its drivers)
and not the CPU power.

CPUs are faster and faster each day, but PCI bus speed never changed.
It's the same as in old 486 DX4s. So why do you expect better video speed?
AGP is a fast thing, but current linux drivers doesn't use it, at least
for most vga cards (and new motherboard chipsets had no agpgart support yet
under linux). Only a few vga card has high quality linux drivers with
hardware features supported.
So, I have to repeat: fast CPU is not enough. VGA card & drivers DOES MATTER!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu