[Mplayer-users] debian package problem

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 29 23:37:52 CEST 2001

On Sonntag, 29. April 2001 12:22 you wrote:
> Hi,
> Since this is not an official package, I think this is the best place
> to post this bug report.
>
> Trying to build the latest release debian package I had this problem:
>
> # dpkg -i mplayer_0.11pre-1_i386.deb
>  Selecting previously deselected package mplayer.
>  (Reading database ... 50331 files and directories currently installed.)
>  Unpacking mplayer (from mplayer_0.11pre-1_i386.deb) ...
>  dpkg: error processing mplayer_0.11pre-1_i386.deb (--install):
>   trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man5/fb.modes.5.gz', which is also in
>   package fbset
>   Errors were encountered while processing:
>    mplayer_0.11pre-1_i386.deb
>
> I've this problem with unstable.
>
> cheers,
> 	pietro
I don't know about debian packages, but it seems the package is trying to
overwrite a file already installed by another package. Anyway I don't
recommend using that package, it's outdated and not customized for your
hardware, please grab the current release 0.17a IdegCounter from
http://mplayer.sourceforge.net available as tared bzip2 (~600kb).
It really has lot's of enhancements over 0.11 release and the configure
script will auttodetect your hardware and optimize mplayer for it.

--
Best Regards,
   Felix