[Mplayer-users] Problems on an Athlon

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Sun Aug 5 20:11:00 CEST 2001

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Tony Clark wrote:

> Hang on a minute, I'll just put my flame proof suit on

Hi! Ist that flame proof or flame proof? :-)

> I've been trying to get mplayer to run till the end of a movie on my system.
>  It will run for about 10 - 20 minutes...seems to depend a bit on what
> desktop I am using.  Seems to perfer gnome.  It usually crashes after taking
> out in other applications that may be running at the same time.  I have even
> had it screw the bios on the machine.  At least I am pretty sure it did.  It
> can crash X as well but usually its just happy to crash the console it is run
> from.

What output drivers were you using?  -vo xv   -vo x11   ?
mplayer should not have the ability to crash anything you describe,
especially not the BIOS, unless you run it as root, which you surely do
not.
So it must be some other component, like graphics driver.

Does ist crash with  -vo x11  ?   -vo null  ?   with -nosound ?
Do you have a framebuffer-device, or aalib? Then does it crash completely
without XFree?

If any of this answers no, I'd blame the nv modules!

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se