[Mplayer-users] Problems on an Athlon

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 6 23:13:48 CEST 2001

On Sunday,  5. August 2001 19:49, you wrote:
> Hang on a minute, I'll just put my flame proof suit on
>
> I've been trying to get mplayer to run till the end of a movie on my
> system. It will run for about 10 - 20 minutes...seems to depend a bit on
> what desktop I am using.  Seems to perfer gnome.  It usually crashes after
> taking out in other applications that may be running at the same time.  I
> have even had it screw the bios on the machine.  At least I am pretty sure
> it did.  It can crash X as well but usually its just happy to crash the
> console it is run from.
>
> I've built it using gcc.2.95, 2.96, 3.0, 3.01(cvs) all with the same
> effect. I've built all the other complilers apart from 2.96 using egcs.
>
> System
> K7 1200C
> KT133a MB
> 512MB RAM
> Gforce2 ultra with nv driver not Nvidia
> Xfree4.1.0
> Samsung DVD
> IBM45MB HDD
> 3com905 network

I think your AGP driving control or aperture size is wrongly setup, there are
recommended agd driving settings for via + geforce2, search the web for it,
ahtlon systems are very sensitive to bios settings. Also check your memory
timings.
This is IMHO hardware problem, maybe driver, you could test with nvidia
binary driver.

--
Best Regards,
   Felix

____
Ever tried? Ever failed? - Try again! Fail better!