[Mplayer-users] can't play VCDs

Max Hofer vir182 at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 8 17:53:20 CEST 2001

> i think that your cdrom is too slow. if you burn it as file, then kernel
> caching helps. but using in SVCD mode no cache at all.
i dont know if we understand us. i don't mean the fact that i can burn the SVCD
;) if i burn the pure bin file to CD (on the CD i see a directory with a bin
file, and i start mplayer on this bin file, the playing works fine. but if i
burn it as (S)VCD (having the standard directories etc), playing doesn't work.

you were right, seems the CD-ROM is too slow. my burner (which should be slower
than my CD-ROM) plays the file perfectly. seems i have to figure out why my
CD-ROm is so slow (playing those files). when i copy files i geat easly 2 or 3
MByte/sec.

Q: is there a way to set the device for the vcd option? it checks /dev/cdrom
but actually i would like to play from /dev/scd1. (yeah, i know -- work around
is ln each time scd1 to cdrom, but that's kinda silly).