[Mplayer-users] Another happy user with bugs.

Jakub Turski yacoob at chruptak.plukwa.net
Thu Aug 9 15:47:55 CEST 2001

Greetings,

 I decided to write some stuff about Mplayer that isn't perfect (but who
is? :) yet.

 1/  First  of  all  - could I have a kind request to add AUTOMATIC mode
change to fbdev module? I use Matrox, which has the capability to change
resolution  'on-the-fly'.  So  far,  I've  written a small dialog-using-
script, which presents me the resolutions from  fb.modes,  and  lets  me
choose.  But  I'd  like it to happen automagically. Is this a problem? I
know that generic fbdev cannot change resolution, but  it'd  be  a  nice
present for people with better framebuffers...?

 2/  'fs  = yes' works... strange. For example, if I specify -vo x11, it
does fullscreen, WHEN I also specify... -nofs. WTF? When i say '-vo  x11
-fs' it doesn't scale at all!

 3/ (Not quite a mplayer question) Does anyone knows if my Matrox Mille­
nium I has XVideo capabilities? Even S3 virges has these...? :(( XF4.0.3
loads the extension, but then xvinfo shows nothing :(

 4/  Divx4linux  is  supposed to be faster? False here - it is a sloooow
beast :( When I specify '-vc divx4' framerate drops to 1-2 fps. Why?

 5/  DGA  displays  black  screen.  I have proper gcc, and still... When
using -vo dga it gives me black screen + audio, when using  -vo  sdl:dga
it gives me picture + sound (but the movie is jerked, and skippy, stran­
ge thing it applies for -vo sdl:everything, except aalib :)

 A distress call: if someone is using such ancient graphic card as mine,
please contact me - maybe we can work something out.

 A bit of sugar: reading all these above, you may think I'm greatly dis­
sapointed - it's quite contrary, I'm happy as a pig :> Nearly all of  my
mpegs/avis play fine, under console - no need for XFree! Great thing. At
least I can watch my animes under The Right Operating System. If only it
read .rm and .vivo... dream on... :)

My configuration:
Debian 2.2
Linux magi 2.4.6 #1 śro lip 25 19:16:30 CEST 2001 i586 unknown
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       887712 wrz  1  2000 /lib/libc-2.1.3.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 kwi 16 00:20 /lib/libc.so.5 -> libc.so.5.4.46
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       586720 lut  9  1999 /lib/libc.so.5.4.46
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 paź 17  2000 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.1.3.so
XFree 4.0.3
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
GNU ld version 2.9.5 (with BFD 2.9.5.0.37)
GNU assembler 2.9.5

Hardware:
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 5
model		: 8
model name	: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping	: 12
cpu MHz		: 350.801
cache size	: 64 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips	: 699.59

Matrox Millenium I 4MB RAM
chipset mga2064w
mga.o driver in XFree, mga framebuffer under console, VESA chipset under SVGAlib

Reagrds,

Q.
--
  (oo)  |           Modem Police...we clocked you at over 1600 cps.           |