[Mplayer-users] howto DVD rip on Linux

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 9 16:55:14 CEST 2001

>do someone know/did a comparison of divx codecs?
>divx 3.11 low/fast motion, opendivx 0.48, ffmpeg, divx4 ?

doom9 did some comparisons of DivX, OpenDivX and others and promised
to test DivX4 in this setup, too (three weeks ago). I just asked him,
if it was finished already. There was a test with two-pass encoding Divx4
against NanDub, too. I'll search for it.

>what about quality and speed?

quality:
divx fast-motion is known to be inferiour to low-motion in almost every
situation, exception are fast-movement-only parts, perhaps...

speed: for me, Divx4 encodes slightly faster than DivX3.11. But at 1.8 fps I
might be faster drawing by hand...

For the rest, you have to find experts.  doom9.net is a very good starting
point.

>i think i'll add multiplexer, and allow to do direct-stream-copy, from
>single or multiple files. if it's ok, then add video encoding, using
>ffmpeg codecs / divx311 dll / encore? / divx4linux.

YES!!! Ssssssssssssssstrike! A'rpi, you are the man!

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se