[Mplayer-users] Subtitle and correct codepage

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Aug 9 20:48:24 CEST 2001

Hello, Arpi!
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:46:21 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > As I've found - Bulgarian language lacks 6 characters against Russian, imho.
> > > And it would be better to have a full character set for Russian too.
> > You could use the second font generator, it allows to specify TTF font and
> > a given codepage (it must be known/supported by glibc, but 2.2.x supports
> > everything), and with my changes it generates very nice alphamap too.
> >
> > You should give a try...
> >
> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/contrib/fonts/subfont-1.0a1.tar.bz2
> > ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/contrib/fonts/subfont.c
> >
> > (the single .c file is my modified version)
>
> Hmm. Just build nice russian font using:
>
> ./subfont koi8-r 24 arial.ttf
>
> (arial.ttf is the unicode Arial font from Win98's windows/fonts/)
>
> I can't check how correct is it, but the bitmap has many cyrillic characters
> :)
>
> Btw. It ran 0.622s on my cel2-1066Mhz, so it shouldn't be slower than 4s
> even on a p200mmx. what about including it in mplayer code, and building
> font runtime? so user can specify font size name etc in mplayer commandline.
> (and it's easier to support those Anime subs (SAA?) with many font faces and
> sizes)
>
> I think the only slow thing in this font generation process is the
> gaussian-like blur effect. But it could be MMX-optimized, and 10x faster.

It would be better to add Requirements to TOOLS/subfont-c/README
because I got:
make: freetype-config: Command not found
make: freetype-config: Command not found
subfont.c:23: ft2build.h: No such file or directory
subfont.c:24: `#include' expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
subfont.c:27: `#include' expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
subfont.c:60: parse error before `ustring'
make: *** [subfont.o] Error 1

I don't use XFontServer (xfs) and don't use TTF support on my Linux.
I know that on this forum are subscribed many Russian users -
so maybe they could build it faster of me ;)

Best regards! Nick