[Mplayer-users] howto DVD rip on Linux

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 10 05:28:38 CEST 2001

On Thursday,  9. August 2001 18:33, you wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > And in general? Not only free soft...
> > It isn't big problem to use for example l3codeca.acm for encoding.
> > (afaik it's used by windows rippers)
my windows ripper uses lame and theres even acm version of lame.

> If I remember correctly, Lame is good for high bitrates and for VBR, but
> for low (I guess, movies get rather <128kbps bitrate than higher)
> Fraunhofer was superior, there. But its VBR is bad. :-(
> We should check for this "MP3pro" stuff. This was designed for lower
> bitrates, so it might be interesting.

I made the contrary experience, lame is better for low bitrate, cause it
supports much more bitrates between like 96kbps, 80kbps, ..., 40kbps and so
on and l3codec only 96kbps, 64kbps,56kbps and lame supports applying filters
(low/highpass) and also supports 32kHz where l3 only has 48,44,22...

--
Best Regards,
   Felix

____
Ever tried? Ever failed? - Try again! Fail better!