[Mplayer-users] Subfont renderer is ready!

Artur Zaprzala artur.zaprzala at talex.com.pl
Mon Aug 13 17:09:23 CEST 2001

New version is available at:
http://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/subfont-1.0b.tar.bz2
http://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/subfont-1.0b-example.tar.bz2 (latin2, Verdana)
or
ftp://mplayer.dev.hu/MPlayer/incoming/subfont-1.0b.tar.bz2
ftp://mplayer.dev.hu/MPlayer/incoming/subfont-1.0b-example.tar.bz2 (latin2, Verdana)

`subfont' program renders antialiased OSD and subtitle fonts for mplayer.

What you get are bitmap and alpha *.raw files and a font.desc.
What you need is TrueType, Type 1 or any other font supported by FreeType.

Alpha channel is created using outline and Gaussian blur filters
(set radius with --blur and --outline options).

ANY encoding is now supported! That is, all 8-bit encodings known by libc
and user-supplied encodings (also multibyte) through custom encoding files.

I prepared also Type 1 font `osd.pfb' for OSD characters based on bitmaps
created by chass.

Subfont was tested with Korean fonts from truetype-fonts-ko-2.0-1k.noarch.rpm
I found on http://rpmfind.net/ and euc-kr encoding.  Custom encoding file
for euc-kr was generated from charmap I found in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/EUC-KR.gz
(glibc package).  This should work with -unicode switch for mplayer
(though it is not Unicode).  It took about 14 seconds to render over 8000 characters on P3
@ 600MHz.

Artur Zaprzala