[Mplayer-users] I420 & YV12 support in XFree86-4.1.0

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 14 16:23:15 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Have you ever look in XFree86-4.1.0 drivers sources?
> I take a look and find out that only on ati-r128, sis,
> and i810, the YV12 and I420 packed pixel formats are
> unpacked by hardware. Yes, the other use pure C. Yes,
> matrox, voodoo B/3, nVidia, etc. have these modes by
> hardware, but they are emulated. The drivers from
Emulated? What? Have you ever checked drivers/mga_vid.c ?

Voodoo3 is really tricky, it has no direct yuv overlay,
but its texture engine can do some hacks.

Afaik, nvidia geforce (2) can do YV12.

Yes, matrox g200 is a bit tricky, it supports only 2
planes, Y and interleaved UV. But G4x0 series has direct
hardware 2x2 buffered (hardware vsync swap) planar YUV support.
At least the card has it, and mga_vid can use it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu