[Mplayer-users] OSS, alsa-0.5,...

Jindrich Kolorenc jkol5223 at menza.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Aug 16 11:37:16 CEST 2001

> Why do you use OSS emulation with alsa-0.5 ???
> it's written in docs that it's broken. use -ao alsa5 or upgrade
> alsa to 0.9.x, or use real OSS driver.

I also use OSS emulation with alsa-0.5 (Duron, soundcard is onboard
via686a). The reason is that -ao alsa5 seems to be broken for me
(sometimes
after a few minutes of playing the sound starts to play very fast... it
seems to be dependent on decoding mp3lib/l3codeca, but I cannot test it
now better, sorry).

Real OSS driver is bad (with 2.2.18 kernel, maybe better with
some 2.4.x, but I had problems with mtrr settings with that kernel so I
downgraded again).

And alsa-0.9... I have never been able to install it correctly, if I
remember well last problem was library compiling.

I hope this info is somewhat useful. Jindrich Kolorenc.