[Mplayer-users] total time in OSD

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Wed Aug 22 14:00:45 CEST 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Adrian Zurek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have one question (please don't be angry for me, it's a little, very little
> request): is it possible to include a total time of movie in OSD? It could be
> accessible in some way, for example on some keypress...
> Yes, I know it could be impossible to show it with streaming video.
>
> What about this?
>
> Greetings,
>
> PS: MPlayer is great piece of software! (really!)

I looked at implementing it.  Unfortunately, the total playing time of the
file isn't easily known.  Certainly for mpegs (which are in a
"stream" type format) it isn't known; perhaps its in AVI headers etc
(though that is probably wrong often?).

I experimented with tracking average bytes per second being played and
using that to estimate total play time - but this didn't work well at all
- lots of jitter in the estimate.

So I gave up.  If anyone has ideas on how to do this better I'd like to
hear them because a time-remaining display would be a nice addition for
me.

Steve