[Mplayer-users] DVD playback with another -vc?

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Sat Aug 25 16:11:13 CEST 2001

>On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:26:33 +0200 André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>
wrote:

>> This is a silly question, but it isn't mentioned in the documentation so
>> here goes: Is there a way to play DVDs using ffdivx or some other codec?
>> FFmpeg supports mpeg 2, so shouldn't it work?
>
>AFAIK, nope, there isn't mplayer uses his own mpeg codec
>(which is highly optimized).

I though you could force that by  -vc ffmpeg12  instead of -vc mpeg12

output is

Forcing video codec: [ffmpeg12] drv:5 (FFmpeg-1)

instead of

Forcing video codec: [mpeg12] drv:1 (MPEG 1 or 2)

But here (pure-C on Sparc) I can't tell if there is speed difference.
But I remember on my Linux-Box ffmpeg12 was much slower... but that's
long ago.

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se