[Mplayer-users] Java, Java

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 28 20:10:02 CEST 2001

Hi,

> have) a lot of trouble with it: they claim that it is runable on whatever
> machine, whatever OS?
>
> Some little example: when i check http://irc.wanadoo.be, using netscape 4.7x,
> it works fine, but using mozilla, opera, or whatever (with java support
> installed, of course, under linux, don't know for win),  the plugin doesn't
> work. I still haven't find any explanation, and can't dig it further, that
> only example makes me sick of it already
>
> (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)
yes... the usual problem.

java itself is portable, even some small microcontroller can run java code.
but it's just an virtual cpu... like your pentium.

the OS running on this virtual stuff depends from browser to browser.
there are a few standard java functions (in sun's java RT LIB), but they
are such basic things like stuff in libc of unix.

special things, like graphics, files, browser's functions and interfaces etc
can vary at each running environment. they are not (enough) compatible.

everything outside java.* tree are specials, can be OS-dependent or
environment-dependent. and i've never seen any prog using stuff only from
java.* (oh, except HelloWorld.java :))

> Same kind of trouble, but this time with javascript, i think, on
javascript is not java. it's like comparing PHP to C...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu