[Mplayer-users] Too slow playback, how to estimate speed gap?

Petri J. Riipinen petri.riipinen at nic.fi
Tue Aug 28 21:13:21 CEST 2001

Hi folks,

I compiled the latest snapshot of mplayer (+libcss & libdvdread) and
included only framebuffer output (left out all X11-stuff as I don't have it
on my SBC).

I managed to play a movie from a DVD on a Transmeta Crusoe TM3200 400MHz.
However, mplayer complaints that my CPU is too slow and I can believe it,
as the movie does seem a bit sluggish. I added '-dropframes' and it runs
without complaints but drops frames, obviously. There is really nothing
else running on this system that could slow it down, this board is
dedicated for playing the DVD.

Ok, now to my question: Can I find out easily that "how much too slow" my
system is?

I mean, can I find out easily if some faster Crusoe CPU would be fast
enough? Does mplayer tell me that how much frames are dropped are how many
% it is lagging from the normal speed.

In other words, I'm trying to estimate what is the performance gap between
my 400MHz CPU and a "fast enough" CPU.

The reason is, that I can upgrade the CPU to a faster one but before I pick
the faster model, I really would like to have some estimate whether the
next fastest CPU (600MHz) is enough or should I pick even faster one. The
price goes higher with speed, so I'd like not to overspend if I don't need
the MHz...;)

- Petri
   Petri J. Riipinen
petri.riipinen at nic.fi