[Mplayer-users] quicktime

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Aug 29 16:58:08 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:40:12AM +0200, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
> > yeah, but it seems like it's all about using larger portion of wine,
> > so you'd better tell that to aviplay list.
>
> but AFAIR avifile is "avi/asf" only, and it was discussion here about
> qicktime/realplayer support

yes, but avifile authors (Eugene & Kabelaci) are the win32-under-linux
experts. we're just importing the DLL stuff from avifile...
so, until they import that code (is it opensource?) to avifile, we won't
be able to use it.

file format doesn't matter here, they are CODECS. independent from
packaging...

btw, i read that article, and it seems to be a simply extended WINE,
so they are running the whole quicktime program under linux. but we
need only the codec... mplayer is not a wrapper like gstreamer or xmps.
mplayer has its own demuxer, a-v sync, ao/vo stuff etc.

btw, i've partially working QT/MOV demuxer in CVS (you can try it,
it will prints some info about QT files), and there are plans for
supporting newer codecs (similar way to divx), but i can't say more now.

and there is openquicktime too. it's based on quicktime4linux what
i didn't like (too messy code, and a bit unstable), but the openqt
guys did a good job. currently we can't use it, and i don't plan to
use that library for qt support, but we can grab features from that,
so even possible 3ivx codec support (they have 3ivx codec).

but, these are far (too far) plans. currently we're busy with much
important things, like:
- gui integration
- internationalization
- libvo2 & direct rendering
- DVB card support (hw mpeg & divx playback)
- compression (encoding, grabbing)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu