[Mplayer-users] gcc 2.96

Lethal Weapon lethalwp at linuxbe.org
Fri Aug 31 12:08:51 CEST 2001

On Thursday 30 August 2001 21:08, you wrote:
> Hello
>
> Not a bug, only something I wan to say
>
> I have Mandrake 8.0 which has gcc 2.96 and mplayer works very well
> (gcc -v output is  -> gcc 2.96 20000731 (Linux-Mandrake 8.0 2.96-0.48mdk))
>
> so maybe not all 2.96 gcc's are broken ;-)

You never know, 2.96 was called a "beta" version, there were bugs, (that part
was found when compiling the kernel): you had weird things, and tracing them
back, checking the source, everything seemed allright; after days of
searching, they found gcc was the cause

a bad compiler can give you weird results, even when it seems to work, so,
the best thing is, when you have a bug, you recompile with another version
and try it again, it appears those bugs are often confirmated ;), but, let's
be sure about it.

PS: i have to say i used 2.96 for a long time also ;) now trying with 3.01

Greetz,
     LtWp