[Mplayer-users] Software zoom

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at arsdigita.com
Fri Aug 31 10:59:45 CEST 2001

I would like to watch some video clips encoded in a small resolution,
hence I need scaling.  Even after reading the FAQ and the
documentation, I am unable to get it to work.

The problem is that the output devices that I got mplayer to work with
(x11 and dga) don't seem to support scaling.  Specifically, when I
specify `-xy 3', nothing happens.

I thought that the `-zoom' option (software scaling) might do the
trick, but it does not appear to work either.  Does "software scaling"
mean what I think it means, or is it something different?  Should it
work on all output devices?

I tried all this with the 20010829 snapshot of mplayer running under
Linux 2.4.8 and XFree86 4.0.3.  Any hints will be more than welcome.