[MPlayer-users] Mplayer memory leak?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Dec 3 11:31:43 CET 2001

Hi,

>  After 10 days, and 3600 snapshots, it look like I have lost 280Mb of
> memory, some 68K per run.
>  The last 5 days now, I removed the snapshot script, and no memory have been
> lost..
>
>  Has enyone else seen this?
none

what kind of memory do you mean?
if you start new mplayer process each time and it exists when snapshot is
done, it shouldn't eat even a bit of memory. it's unix thing, the kernel
frees all the memory allocated by an killed/quited process.

i think it's more like a kernel bug...
some new kernels is known to have memleaks.

btw mplayer allocates some shared memory for mpeg-es buffer, but it's 1MB
per run, so it can't be the thing you see. and it's freeed normally.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu