[MPlayer-users] Re: Can't frontend mplayer?

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Mon Dec 3 19:51:35 CET 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:27:02PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> It's the Question that drives us, D J Hawkey Jr :
> > > Please, if you take the time to make a nice GUI to launch the program,
> > > don't forget to tell me. I have enough with this absurdity of PNG thing.
> > As in, the mplayer skins? What's wrong with the skinning implementation?
> Nothing, but he's too lame^H^H^H^Hunskilled to download libpng.tgz and
> compile it.

Well, if I may. It's absurd to use bitmaps for a GUI. As people have
different monitors and resolutions, the bitmaps guarantee the GUI is
like clothes in the army: the only available sizes are too large and
too small. It's absurd in WinAmp, it's absurd in XMMS and it's absurd
in MPlayer. And the "double size" option only helps in the sense that
then you have both too large and too small available instead of one or
the other. If you can call that an improvement...

Thankfully, as I see it, MPlayer's GUI is only needed for one thing,
namely lamer magazine editors won't now automatically dismiss MPlayer
because it doesn't have a GUI...