[MPlayer-users] Re: incredibly slow... why ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Dec 4 02:27:26 CET 2001

Hi,

> > OSS specs mention GETODELAY and such functions at appendix, at
> > 'advanced oss programming' part. I think some driver author never read
> > it and of course never implemented it. So they return false values and
> > it break mplayer's a-v sync and timing. Note that these functions
> > aren't used by multithreaded players (avifile,xine) nor audio-only
> > players (xmms, mpg13 etc).  So these drivers seem to work well until
> > they meet some application (mplayer) which uses these advanced
> > functions.
>
> As far as I know, OSS is going to be replaced by ALSA in the 2.5/2.6
> linux kernel series. Let's see, what happens then.

hmm. didn't hear about it but it's an unexpected change then..

btw OSS is too comercial nowdays :(
commercial drivers are good, bugfree but the opensource/free drivers are
very low quality, and only a few very common card has good drivers, for
example sblive.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu