[MPlayer-users] Suspicious mga behavior, don't know how to blame and it kills me =)

Björn Ståhl bjst01 at student.bth.se
Wed Dec 5 04:34:49 CET 2001

We're a few guys at a student residence area that plans to use a
linux/g400/mplayer setup along with some spiffy hardware to set up an
extra tv-channel between a few houses, but now nearly a day has been
spent trying to get the blasted TV-Out to work in a sweet manour.

Now, the matrox framebuffer went up and running easy enough (after some
RTFM:ing and a peek at a Matrox TV-Out howto). MPlayer was configured
with framebuffer and mga support. Now things get sticky, fiddling with
the tools provided in TVOut (we're using the latest cvs build btw.) we
get a picture and a res. all right, but ... it's all black and white(!)
A few hours went by looking at manuals and message boards, a few local
gurus tried to help (we're all linux ppl. btw, and pretty confident
using it).

A friend with a similar set-up tossed over his scripts and
configurations, still the same issue. Blaming the hardware, we started
changing hardware, connected it direct to a tv set (several different,
both PAL and NTSC) (Composite cabling btw.), now the only thing we have
installed that can fiddle with the mga or fb. is mplayer, and there's no
X in sight (*aaah*) But we're running out of ideas ... *cough*