[MPlayer-users] MEncoder, it segfaults at linking

pl p_l at tfz.net
Mon Dec 10 12:50:10 CET 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 06:23:37AM +0100, Dieter Nützel wrote:

> > Q: When compiling MEncoder, it segfaults at linking !!!
> > A: Dunno, upgrading binutils should help. Not our fault, do NOT report!
>
> So why on earth you didn't tell the FAQ reader which version _IS_ needed???
> Then you could "call" it FAQ...
Feel free to contribute patches to maintain the FAQ up-to-date.

> As most distros comming with binutils-2.11.x you should rely on a "stable"
> version, no?

Why, if it's buggy ?

Distros ship the binutils they want, which may be buggy or patched or
work.

If ld segfaults, it's ld's fault not ours so report it to the maintener
of your binutils packages, you'll make a maintener happy (or so :)

Same thing applies for most packages on your system.

> Are you saying that a CVS binutils version is needed?

I'm saying: "if it crashes it's buggy so you should upgrade and maybe it
will be fixed ; eventually try and contat contact the mainteners if
still does not work"

--
Best regards,
  pl