[MPlayer-users] help me!! mplayer using network

lanzz at lanzz.org lanzz at lanzz.org
Tue Dec 11 10:25:41 CET 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Manuel Mollar wrote:

> > i don't think reading the help counts as 'hacking'. i take it you have never
> > read a windoze help before, or are you a 'windows hacker'? :)
>
> Im professor of computer science on a small university, but mplayer is to enjoy,
> not to work.

sad thing when your work doesn't bring you joy.

> For me, of course, not for developers:-)

i don't think you get it. why do you think they're developing mplayer at all? after
all they don't get paid for it. i guess these people find much more joy in developing
mplayer than you do in using it.

> Any player for windows does not requires user to read even one line of help.
> Of course mplayer is under development, so its not the same situation.

of course it's not the same situation, but that's not because mplayer is still under
development. unix is for curious people, not for people who just want it working
without any understanding what's going on. and i hope it stays that way. i don't need
another windows and i like to be able to see what's boiling in there, but it is one
very small step from 'it works without reading even one line of help' and 'it works
somehow and there is no way to see why and change it'.

> My message is not that people should not read manuals, my message is that angry
> answers are not necessary.

you may be right there, but my own opinion is that if i want people to be tolerant to
my flaws, i have to be tolerant to their too. yes, perhaps the tone of most answers is
too harsh, but i can see why. i would not answer the same way, but i respect their
right to be angry at ignorance, even if it is my ignorance.

> Anyone can decide to answer or not a message.

yes, and anyone can decide to answer angrily. and you can decide to understand why they
are angry and find another way to communicate with them, or you can just start
complaining at the harsh language. free choices for everyone! :)

> I will not answer any other message about this theme in this list, I think its
> not the appropriate place.
> Be happy.

you forgot the other half, 'don't worry' :)