[MPlayer-users] Re: Radeon frambuffer use if Radeon is not primary display?

Brian J. Murrell 6e1f48c27813a4b94889f0c34824cb3d at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 13 00:22:54 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:09:31AM +0200, Arpi wrote:

> Btw later they found that AGP is slow too, and instead of placing textures
> in system ram (and access via AGP) they started to increase amount of memory
> on the card -> 64/128mb radeons/geforces.

Which of course means that for an Mplayer/video-out only display
device, the minimum available memory that can be bought (I have not
seen less than 32MB cards these days) is all that is needed.  I would
bet that most of it would be wasted for video-out.

> but todays cards like matrox g series and radeons are all AGP chips. the PCI
> versions of these cards (if exists)

They certainly do exist.

> have PCI-to-AGP bridge on teh card and
> the AGP chip... and they aren't supported under linux afaik.

No?  The radeon_vid frame-buffer driver that you have in the Mplayer
project would not support a PCI Radeon card?

So being cost concious, what is the most "featureless" Radeon that
would be acceptable for "Mplayer"ing?  I have an ATI TV-Wonder tuner
card right now, but that Radeon with the TV-In and the TV-Out is
looking mighty nice.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell