[MPlayer-users] Re: Radeon frambuffer use if Radeon is not primary displThu Dec 13 01:29:45 2001

Brian J. Murrell 00e6e936b231ed3cd47931f1d9e101ca at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 13 00:53:10 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:34:02AM +0200, Arpi wrote:

> for video playback, you need max. 2*xres*yres*3 bytes and some megs for the
> desktop (at 32bpp it's 4*xres*yres) and XAA (128kb ?).
> so, in general, a 8mb card should be enough for everything.

That's about what I was thinking.

> at leats matrox does produce pci versions, i don't know about radeon.

ATI do make PCI Radeons too.  I have been looking on their website.

> i think no.

:-(

> there was a discussion about such cards at DRI-devel list some months ago.
> the driver should know and control the pci-to-agp bridge on the card to
> reach the video chip. and current drivers can't do that...

~sigh~

> why do you need radeon?

I don't.  I just need a hardware scaling, TV-Out capable card that
Mplayer supports (easily - i.e. not the G400 which I already have -
it's way too messy to get TV-Out and hardware scaling to work on the
framebuffer) with the framebuffer driver.

> what about an oldy mach64 chuip card with tvout?

Such as?  Can I buy any TV-Out capable Mach64's easily these days?  I
don't even particulary care to buy ATI.  Any acceptable hardware which
meets the requirements:

- relatively inexpensive (i.e <= $150)
- supported as framebuffer device by Mplayer
- hardware scaling
- TV-Out
- optionally no binary drivers

would do.

I have not written off Nvidia due to them not meeting the last
criterion but if I can avoid being dependent on a vendor continuing to
produce binary drivers I would like to.

> it's even better supported by gatos drivers.

With framebuffer (I am not that knowlegable with the breadth of the
Gatos project)?  Will Mplayer use the framebuffer of a Mach64?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell