[MPlayer-users] Re: Radeon frambuffer use if Radeon is not primary display?

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Thu Dec 13 01:11:36 CET 2001

"Brian J. Murrell" <c475df8ee131b5a8a242ebdef10f4160 at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:48:28AM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:

>> Huh? Why shouldn't they be supported? AGP uses the PCI protocol so I
>> don't see any problems, besides the fact, no specs may be availible
>> to the open source community to provide a driver.

> So are you saying that any AGP supported card will mean that the PCI
> version is supported too?

No.

I mean, AGP-cards register themself as a PCI-Device on PCI-Bus 1 (on
normal PC-Mainboards with only one two PCI-busses, namely PCI as bus:0
and AGP as "bus":1) and are therefor accessable as PCI-Devices:

00:08.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 11)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX (rev 10)
00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 53c974 [PCscsi] (rev 10)
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 82)

So there is (as far as I know) no limitation from the hardware point of
view, but there may be software-specific problems.

But: Every AGP-Card has to be VGA-compatible, or it is not allowd to be
in the Display-Controller-Class and has to be put into the
Multmedia-Controller-Class (that is where for example Voodoo2-Cards
reside, since there are not VGA-compatible), so at least the vesafb
should run.

S°

--
Letzte Worte des Kapitäns der Titanic: Etwas Eis für meinen Whiskey, bitte.