[MPlayer-users] DVD problems with mplayer

pl p_l at tfz.net
Thu Dec 13 11:19:53 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:22:17AM +0100, Peter Lemken wrote:

> Since last week it seems I have a problem with my setup, since I cannot
> play encrypted DVDs anymore, and unencrypted ones only with abnormal use
> of CPU-power and sound glitches. Constant access to my HD makes watching
> a movie impossible.
>
> An encrypted DVD starts up normally, reading the disc structure just
> fine etc. Once the movie window comes up, however, it starts creeping
> along at 1 frame every two seconds or so.
>
> I have tried three or four different versions compiled from CVS;
> actually the first time I had problems with mplayer was with a version
> that previously played DVDs just fine, so it has to do something with
> the rest of my OS in conjunction with MPlayer.

I guess it's libdvdread && libdvdcss...

> I recently "upgraded" from Debian testing to unstable and the rest of
> the systems works just fine, including encrypted DVD support from Ogle,
> DivX with mplayer etc., It's just MPlayer and DVD that does not yield
> the desired results.

Is it debian's libdvdread/dvdcss or some you compiled by yourself ?

> Would anyone know where to start looking for the glitches that I
> encounter? I really would love to use MPlayer for DVD, simply for its
> great keyboard control, the lack of which I find appalling in ogle.

If you did not: get the versions pointed in the doc, that is the one on
Ogle's website known as: libdvdread 0.9.2 and libdvdcss 0.0.3.ogle.

Videolan's vanilla library or other dvdcss library are known to cause
glitches when libdvdread is used in mplayer...
It has not been investigated further though IIRC.

> Oh, BTW, is HD-access a "normal" thing while watching a DVD? I find that
> these constant HD-accesses tend to worsen my sound output. I assume that
> something uses caching onto the HD and I'd like to stop that, assuming
> that my system is fast enough and the DVDs clean enough to handle the
> constant data stream from DVD without caching.

Hmmm... weird.
Is this real access to your HD or just your HD LED that blinks ?

--
Best regards,
  pl