[MPlayer-users] Windows binary availability?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Dec 13 19:19:16 CET 2001

Hi,

> Why not continue the work seeing as you got far enough to get
> screenshots of it working?  Perhaps if the source were
> releasesed/integrated into Mplayer proper some windows fans would help
> maintain it.
>
> I can certainly understand why a windows port would not be important
> to begin, but once you have spent the time to make it happen, why
> throw that effort away?  Why not try to capture more market share by
> having a Windows Mplyer?

It was done by Atmos just for fun. He didn't spent lots of time making it,
but afaik it was a big mess to get it compile...

Btw I personally (and some other developers too) really worry about windows:
Just remember what happened to virtualdub's asf support!
And mplayer supports lots of closed and patented stuff. Companies aren't
interested in it until we leave their windows market alone.
But as soon as we provide mplayer for windows, m$ and others will force
us to stop and remove asf support etc. For example, m$ provides media
encoder and other tools. they can be simply replaced by mencoder and
mplayer. Do you really think they will allow it???

And yet another thing, it's more technical:
mplayer has lots of gcc asm stuff. it isn't compilable under windows.
and what about unix-specific things, like tty i/o, fork() and such things.
They were all disabled in win version, making it very useless.

And who do need mplayer in the "userfriendly" windows world?
Who want to start a command prompt to type long command line to get their
avi played, instead of double click on it?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu