[MPlayer-users] Radeon frambuffer use if Radeon is not primary display?

Brian J. Murrell 73d040d606d9a470fb85d9de7ade471c at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 13 20:32:30 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 08:19:23PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> Hello, Brian!

Hello again Nick.

> Why you don't want to use AGP slot for primary card?

Because I don't need it for displaying video streams and having it is
a limiting factor in what MBs you can use and how many cards you can
use, etc.

> FYI: radeonfb doesn't support TV-out. (only GATOS and VESA)

You mean the radeon framebuffer with Mplayer does not support TV-Out?

Well that means Radeons are right out of the running too.  What does
that leave?  What TV-Out capable cards are supported with framebuffer
and have hardware scaling and PCI support?  ~sigh~  This is getting
depressing.

I know what GATOS is.  How can VESA be used with Mplayer?  Will it use
the hardware scaling capabilities of given video cards?

> But if it's don't matter for you - then it's should be o'k.

I really do want to avoid the overhead of X for making a PVR.  It's
just not needed, don't you think?

But then again, in efforts of making an interactive program guide/gui
maybe X is a better choice over framebuffer.  What would one use to
write a gui based interactive application that runs on a framebuffer?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell