[MPlayer-users] real movies

clemenswaechter clemenswaechter at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 18:14:33 CET 2001

> mplayer supports real movies format? (*.rm)

RTFM http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/faq.html

Q:
Is there a hint on how to watch RealMedia movies in MPlayer?

A:
There's no way to do it. Therefore this format deserves to die in flames.
Theoretically you can reverse engineer Real codecs built for Linux (they
are available as .so files), but in practice that's really difficult, even
if you know how the compiler used by Real is making assembler code.

But if you have the time to do it, then please implement it and submit a
patch :-)
Real audio/video is evil because no specs describing the format or the
encoding/decoding are released. And I don't think that Real will ever
change
their minds and release anything but binaries.

You also might try to get any infos (from Real) and I think it will be
implemented
but I guess this could be as hard as getting blood out of a stone..

> Thanks,
>
> Pedro Cardoso

Clemens Wächter