[MPlayer-users] Windows binary available yet?

Brian J. Murrell 32a8f1d66e67ee72fb9b8ca10f6f7b3a at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 14 22:58:41 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:30:01PM +0200, Lasse Kärkkäinen / Tronic wrote:

> Windows Media Player 6.4 + DivXG400 is a lot better than MPlayer (I
> actually used it on Linux too, in WINE, until I found MPlayer).

I doubt it.  The two features I miss from mplayer the most are not
available in WMP.  1 minute and 10 second seeking and a/v sync manual
adjust.

> Yes, if you have working codec. This apparently doesn't include DivX.

Sure does.  I have yet to find a file that Mplayer does not seek (10
minutes, 1 minute and 10 second keystroke seeks) with as long as the
file is closed.  AVI files do not seek (without Mplayers -idx flag) if
being played while being recorded but I suspect that is an AVI file
format issue, not an Mplayer issue.

> Anyway, I'm happy with the slider when I need to seek 10 minutes or
> something.

But how often do you need to seek 10 minutes vs. the few minutes in a
commercial break?  The slider is very annoying for that as well as
WMP's time to get back in sync.  Mplayer seeks and plays immediately.

> For very short seeks it is bad, but DivX/AVI doesn't handle
> seeks too well anyway

Works just peachy in Mplayer so it can't be a DivX/AVI issue.  Must be
WMP.

> No need for that - it works out of the box.

Actually it doesn't.  It paused video for resync if necessary.

> If it doesn't, delete or
> VirtualDub might fix the broken file.

But I don't want to have to load up a file in another app just to fix
it so I can watch it once (i.e. television programming) when I can
make manual adjustments during that one watching.

> Here MPlayer either loses sync or (with -framedrop) drops loads of
> frames while syncing.

With mp1e streams or with everything?

> On the same box, W98 and WMP 6.4, same video
> plays nicely without framedrops. Movies with bigger resolutions might
> skip sometimes for sync, but there is no difference to MPlayer there.

Maybe this is our big difference.  I am watching recorded television,
you seem to be watching movies.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell