[MPlayer-users] Windows binary availability?

Mendel Mobach mendel at mobach.nl
Sat Dec 15 12:08:17 CET 2001

On Thursday 13 December 2001 23:01, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> They forced vdub author to immediately remove all asf-related code from his
> program.

Was the vdub author not a american ?

> yes
>
> until and while has the same meaning in hungarian :(

Nice language :-) I prefer dutch :-)

> > really violating any patents?  It's still their own implemenation,
> > code, algorithms, etc.  You are just giving the user an alternate
> > framework to use the patent approved implementation.
>
> you're talking about codecs. i'm talking about demuxers.
> i'm talking about mov, asf, mpeg demuxers. afaik we should buy the mpeg
> specs to legally distribute any mpeg-manipulating program.
>
> asf and mov formats are patented, and at least asf, shouldn't be
> implemented by non-m$ company/group without their permission.

I guess you don't have to do in europe (I know nothing about the .hu laws but
in .nl software patents are still not legal so they can't force us here to
use remove something inst

> btw there is libavcodec too which based on reverse engineered DLLs.

Reverse engenieering is allowed in some european Union countries (Guess it
was germany and/or denmark) for porting 'stuff' to other platforms.

[snip]
> but i can't remove all of them. if i remove everything what left?

A interface to WMP ?

[snip]

Regards

Mendel Mobach

- --
Mendel Mobach aka BugBlue - mendel at mobach.nl - bugblue at dds.nl
ICQ: 40200278 - IRC: BugBlue (ircnet:#ne2000 undernet:#groningen)
 12:02pm  up 35 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.38, 1.41, 1.35
not properly grounded, please bury computer