[MPlayer-users] Graphics Card with TV-Out supported by mplayer

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Sun Dec 16 17:21:34 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 03:57:20PM +0100, Robert Kasunic wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to buy a new graphics card with tv out supported by
> mplayer/Linux. As far as I can see from the mplayer documentation the
> Matrox cards G400-550 should work. Can somebody please confirm this?

I managed to fire up my S3 Savage to display on a TV set, both NTSC and PAL.

Actually, if you are in Europe, you're probably better of hacking together a
cable that connects the VGA output of your computer to the SCART input of
your TV and use something like this at the monitor section modeline:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "NTSC/PAL Television set"
        HorizSync       14-16
        VertRefresh     48-64
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

ModeLine "720x540pal"  14.6  720 756 828 936  540 572 605 625 +hsync +vsync Interlace

Provided that your VGA card is capable of using such clocks, you save the
PAL CVBS modulation and demodulation in the analog signal path, considerably
improving the image quality. This works for almost ANY SVGA-compatible card,
and there's no need for a TV output.

Cheers,

--
Daniel