[MPlayer-users] Re: How to use mencoder

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Tue Dec 18 16:22:06 CET 2001

SMuelas <smuelas at mecanica.upm.es> wrote:

> Last question: if I encode with a relation from X to Y of 16:9 a film
> that is DVD'recorded with this relation, will it maintain the original
> relation without putting any black bands ? (It seems logical, but...)

The Picture on the DVD is always stored in 720x576 (or 720x480 for
NTSC). So if you encode with this resolution, your AVI will have
720x576 and all actors will have egg-heads when not using -aspect while
playing.

So your have to scale down the image before encoding, which you do with
your example line:

> mencoder -dvd $1 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -divx4opts br=1300 -x 512 -y
> 288 -sws 2 -o godfather$1.avi -pass 1 (and "-pass 2" when finished).

So the answer to your questioan has to be: Yes.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #379:

We've picked COBOL as the language of choice.