[MPlayer-users] firewalls needed :)

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Wed Dec 19 02:59:28 CET 2001

Hi, A'rpi.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if there's flaming about MPlayer going
on, in some part the MPlayer team brought it on themselves.

Whether you know it or not, you folk have indeed been coming off as
arrogant, elitist, or whatever the right adjective is. I've been on these
lists for a while now, and rare is the reply to a question or comment
that isn't inflammatory. Even your "RTFM" is belittling, if not insulting.
Need I remind you of what everyone knows the 'F' to stand for?

Now, as someone pointed out a while back, it may be a cultural thing,
what with many of the developers coming from what we Westerners call
Eastern Europe. If this is the case, you'd be wise to "westernize"
yourselves a bit, as that's where much of your userbase is.

You have a fine product. If you actually want others besides yourselves
to know that, use it, and appreciate it - and by extension, appreciate
you all - you ought to appreciate those users.

I wouldn't worry about "damage control", it may be too late for that,
as you already have a reputation. Were I you, I'd start thinking hard
and fast about things like "courtesy", "helpfulness", and yes, even
"modesty". Put them to good use, and you may find that the perception
of you and the team changes all by itself.

Just my two-cents' worth,
Dave

--